A Packed Suitcase reader needs a little advice from their favorite mid-atlantic travel blogger. You know what that means… It’s time for another edition of “Ask Chris.”
Here we go!
I just stumbled across your web-site. It’s great. I love the mid-atlantic focus as it seems to be an often overlooked area. Have you ever been to Alexandria, VA? I was looking at it for a weekend anniversary trip but don’t want to go by just the tourism web-site. I really liked the old town feel, the history, and plenty of choices between activities or just people watching at an outdoor restaurant.
Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
A Romance-seeking reader from Philly
I love this reader for many reasons. One, she likes my site– WHOO! Two, she’s on the mid-Atlantic bandwagon– DOUBLE WHOO! And three, she’s picked a fantastic spot for an romantic weekend away with her hubby– WHOO HOO!
Alexandria would be a perfect weekend anniversary getaway. It’s so cute with lots of shops, fantastic restaurants, upscale hotels, robust history and easy proximity into DC (though there’s enough to do in Alexandria without heading into the city.)
This is what I would do if I was planning a romantic weekend in Alexandria.
- Fancy: Vermillion, Restaurant Eve
- Mid-Range: Pizzeria Paradiso, Virtue Feed & Grain, the Majestic Cafe, Del Ray Cafe, Gadsby’s Tavern (which has been around since the 1700s, and served George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and a smattering of other Founding Fathers.)
- Also, there are lots of Irish pubs and places to grab a drink. This is definitely a historic pub town.
Things to do:
- Take a walking tour or Ghost Tour of historic Alexandria, via Alexandria Colonial Tours
- Window shop along King Street
- All aboard! Take a water taxi to the National Harbor or the National Mall
- Stroll through the quirky Del Ray neighborhood
- Walk around the Torpedo Factory art studio (by the waterfront)
- Sip a handcrafted cocktail at PX Lounge (a hip speakeasy-type bar– though it may be hard to get into…)
Hope this helps anyone in search of a great (and romantic) weekend in Alexandria! And if any of you awesome readers have any other tips to add, please pass tips along in the comments below.