5 Things I Love About Roanoke

Roanoke City Market- coca cola sign

This past November, I hit the road for an Old School Virginia Road Trip. My first stop was Roanoke, a city about 3 1/2 hours away from D.C. that I had heard about, but never visited before.

With my limited knowledge, Roanoke was faceless with ambiguous features. But after my day and a half of exploring this Blue Ridge mountain town— feeling the energy of downtown, experiencing the character of the neighborhoods, seeing the beauty of the outdoors, sampling the locally-made craft beer (and finding it to be really good)— the features quickly and vividly filled in. I was left with a portrait of a place that’s both friendly and accessible with just enough flair to make it distinctly unique.

I really loved my visit, and wanted to share some of the things that I discovered about Roanoke that surprised and delighted me.

5 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT ROANOKE:

1- The Easy Access to the Outdoors
Geographically, Roanoke’s located in a valley between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains. When you’re standing in downtown Roanoke, small mountains can be seen, showing the promise of outdoor activities that are all around you.

With 26 miles of urban greenway trails, countless public parks and easy access to nearby hiking spots like McAfee Knob (one of the most photographed spots on the Appalachian Trail), Roanoke is a city that values fitness, mobility and the beauty of the outdoors. Others are beginning to catch on to Roanoke’s commitment to encouraging the love of the outdoors: In 2013, Roanoke was awarded the distinction of “Best Trail Town” by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine.

View from Center in the Square- me and scott

On top of the Center in the Square building… best view in downtown Roanoke!

Roanoke Greenway

The Roanoke Greenway (Photo via Dan Casey/ Blogs.Roanoke.com)

2. The Neighborhoods
Roanoke’s 43 square miles are home to just around 100,000 people, making it Virginia’s 10th largest city. As a visitor staying the night, I recommend staying in the heart of downtown where everything you need— from museums, to restaurants, to shops and other nightlife—  is just a short walk away.

However, “downtown” accounts for just a teeny part of Roanoke. Would you believe that there are over 40 neighborhoods spread across those 43 square miles? That just blew me away… especially after I got out and experienced some of them myself.

Roanoke Neighborhoods

Roanoke’s 40+ neighborhoods (map via roanokeva.gov)

couldn’t get enough of charming Grandin Village in the Raleigh Court neighborhood, with retro-fabulous eateries like Pop’s Ice Cream & Soda Bar and Viva La Cupcake, and the historic Grandin Theatre. I also loved hip South Roanoke, historic Old Southwest and the amazing views from Mill Mountain.

Viva la Cupcake

Viva la Cupcake signature cupcake is chocolate heaven

Pops- Exterior

Pop’s has a fun vibe and an amazing array of grilled cheeses and shakes

3. The Old Meets New Train History
In 1850, the small town of Big Lick, Virginia was added to the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, which connected the cities of Lynchburg and Bristol, Tennessee. Within a few decades, the town became a major junction of the much larger Norfolk and Western Railroad line and saw its population bloom. Dubbed “the Magic City” for its rapid growth and increased economic development, Big Lick was renamed “Roanoke”— named after the river than ran near the town.

The train’s presence revolutionized Roanoke, employing thousands. The city center expanded all around the rail tracks, and hotels like the historic Hotel Roanoke were built for the many businessmen and travelers who now had access to the city.

While freight trains still go through downtown today, Roanoke’s passenger rail service was halted in 1979. However, that’s about to change because Amtrak is extending its train service to downtown Roanoke once again! In a few short years east-coasters will once again be able to take the train on a weekend jaunt down to this historic railroad city.

Roanoke Train

Choo choo! A freight train passes through downtown Roanoke

4. The Culture
For a city in the middle of the mountains, I was so surprised to discover that Roanoke has a huge offering of cultural activities and museums. Roanoke’s rich rail history (as well as exhibits about Virginia’s air, road and space achievements) is on full display at the Virginia Museum of Transportation. And the architecturally impressive Taubman Museum of Art celebrates Virginian and Appalachian fine art in an ultra-modern setting.

But, perhaps the crowning glory is the 6-story Center in the Square building, located in the heart of downtown right next to the bustling Roanoke City Market. Highlighting the city’s commitment to culture, in May 2013 the Center in the Square re-opened after a $30 million renovation and became home to a hub of cultural offerings including 4 museums like the fun Science Museum of Western Virginia (with an incredible butterfly habitat), and performing arts groups like the Roanoke Ballet Theater, the Roanoke Symphony, and the Roanoke Opera. (Yes, OPERA!)

Inside Center in the Square

The colorful lobby of the Center in the Square building.

Taubman Museum of Art

Shadows create art at the Taubman Museum.

5. The Hopping Food Scene
From food trucks to farm-to-table, craft beer to natural food co-ops, Roanoke’s food scene is really taking off. Popular food trucks like Bruno’s Gastro Truck and the Noke Truck are dishing up creative food on the go and are often seen out and about around town and at the craft brewery, Parkway Brewing.

The Roanoke Valley’s home to many farmers and the “eat local” trend is in full force. Countless restaurants (like Local Roots and Alexander’s) offer locally-sourced and inspired cuisine showcasing the region’s best. In particular, I loved my meal at the River and Rail restaurant. It was a hip, South Roanoke neighborhood spot with an open kitchen and lots of modern spins on Southern comfort food.

The secret about Roanoke’s foodie scene is out: The Food Network included the River and Rail’s banana pudding with jalapeño coconut sorbet in its feature “50 States, 50 Ice Cream Treats” and Southern Living has recognized the biscuits at the Roanoker to be some of the best in America.

The bottom line? Come to Roanoke hungry… you won’t be disappointed.

River and Rail- Banana Pudding 2

River and Rail’s Banana Pudding with Jalapeno-Coconut Sorbet

Roanoker

Biscuits at the Roanoker

Parkway Brewing

Tasting the craft beers at Parkway Brewing

**DISCLAIMER: Many of my meals, accommodations and activities for this trip were provided by Virginia Tourism. I worked closely with them to customize an itinerary that best fit my travel perspective, but these reflections and opinions are completely my own.**

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

63 Responses to 5 Things I Love About Roanoke

1. Erin Szczerba January 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

Wow! So happy to read this. I’m interviewing for a job that could either be based in Harrisonburg or Roanoke on Wednesday and I’ll admit to being a tad nervous about leaving Awesome Austin for a less culturally-rich area. But this article has my heart beating fast, excited to explore the area. Thanks!
    Erin

• Christina Ricchiuti January 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

Erin- I’m glad that my post has you feeling a little less wary for a cross-country move! But I’ve gotta say that this entire area has a TON of awesome things to explore. I think you’ll be surprised all that there is to do. And, funny enough, I posted about Harrisonburg earlier this year– here’s some info to get you excited about that possibility, too! http://packedsuitcase.com/2013/10/harrisonburg-more-than-a-college-town.html

• Yeni January 18, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Can someone please tell me a little more about the winter season? Does it snow in December?

• Christina Ricchiuti January 22, 2014 at 8:23 am #

Hi Yeni,
          I have not been to Roanoke in December, but from what I understand, its weather is very similar to what we get here in DC. So, sometimes it may snow, but that’s rare. Hope this helps.

• CH February 4, 2014 at 7:51 am #

Yeni
          As a former Roanoker who grew up in the area, it can snow mid to late December.We have several ski resorts in car ride away that can be accommodating for winter sports like skiing and snow tubing.

• Tim January 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Hi Erin- If your travels lead you to Roanoke for the job and you land it, consider finding a place to live in Historic Old Southwest- We’re within walking distance to downtown with all the restaurants and shops. Our neighborhood was awarded with the Best Neighborhood in the United States in 2010 from NUSA (Neighborhoods USA) for all of our wonderful social and community outreach that we do every year. Lot’s of neighbors to get to know and network and socialize. Check out our neighborhood organization’s website when time allows- http://www.oldsouthwest.org Good Luck to you!

• Jill January 6, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

Hi Erin – Although it’s not covered here, Roanoke has a vibrant live music scene. Perhaps not as vibrant as Austin’s, but still noteworthy. We have the Down by Downtown festival, our own version of SXSW. And great venues such as the Jefferson Center and Kirk Avenue Music Hall. Roanoke also has a variety of festivals throughout spring, summer and fall. I haven’t been to Harrisonburg since college – it is dominated by James Madison University. When I moved to Roanoke from the DC area in 2011, I felt instantly welcomed and met a lot of really good people. You should really visit Roanoke and check it out! Good luck with your job search!

• Christina Ricchiuti January 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

A perfect example of the friendliness and hospitality of the Roanoke community. :)

• Rod Goins January 6, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Hi Erin,

I have not lived in Roanoke since 1990, but still get back often visiting family and friends. There are a number of cultural opportunities in the ‘noke, I also wanted to point out that right next door is the New River Valley, the home of both Radford University and Virginia Tech. Tech recently opened a new $100M Performing Arts Center, about 35 miles from downtown Roanoke. Those Universities, along with Roanoke College and Hollins University in the Roanoke Valley, provide additional cultural opportunities as well. There are also the Roanoke Civic Center and the Salem Civic Center, which offer concerts, comedians, Broadway series with traveling Broadway shows. etc. Best wishes!

• Fran January 6, 2014 at 11:30 pm #

lived there almost five years… if you love Austin, you’ll dig Roanoke… i don’t remember music scene being anything, but just the outdoors is awesome

• Robert Willingham January 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm #

We moved to Roanoke (Salem, actually) ten years ago and have been very presently surprised. Even the quality of the mexican food is pretty good if you know where to go.

• Robert Willingham January 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

…pleasantly, that is.

• Mercedes Camacho January 7, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

Erin, it is an amazing city to live in. I actually moved from Roanoke to a town south of Houston almost 3 yrs ago. Although, I am from North Carolina. I miss the changing of seasons and colors of the leaves during that time. There is so much to do and see. So many wonderful people as well.Visit Alejandro’s restaurant and Blues BBQ downtown.
      Mercedes Camacho recently posted..5 Things I Love About RoanokeMy Profile

• Stephanie January 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

How funny. My son lived in Austin for 2 years before moving to San Antonio. I loved
      visiting Austin it has its own uuniqueness. I live outside of Roanoke in called Rocky Mount and theis a beautiful lake called Smith Mountain Lake. It is surrounded by the mountains.there are also some great wineries around. Hope this will help you.

• evie January 8, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

And don’t forget the fabulous Yoga going on in Roanoke. There are 2 studios and other folks teaching privately or in smaller studios. If you are a Yoga enthusiast, there are some great things happening.

• smiley January 18, 2014 at 2:46 pm #

Nice article about Roanoke. And it is true that natural beauty abounds. Unfortunately, it has become typical to mow down mountains for commercial interests and the powers-that-be don’t have the balls to say no. Check out Slate Hill, recently renamed South Peak in order to avert negative publicity.
      Perhaps the article didn’t mention this travesty to the area’s best feature (natural beauty) because it is actually just outside the city limits in Roanoke County. However, it still illustrates the short-sightedness of elected officials in their support of such projects to bring in a few tax dollars while destroying the best reason for living in Roanoke….THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!

• Valerie Eagle February 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Hi Erin,
      I hope you got the job. I just wanted you to know that I graduated from UT and lived in Austin for 6 years. I have found Roanoke to be very full of interesting places and people and continues to satisfy my cultural needs. Please call me if you would like to talk. Valerie

2. Stuart Revercomb January 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

Hi Chris – I am the publisher of the Roanoke Star and I wanted to ask your permission to run this article in our community newspaper this week . . . Would also be featured on http://www.theroanokestar.com. Thanks!

- Stuart

• Christina Ricchiuti January 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Hi Stuart- Thank you so much. What a complement! I’ve emailed you- thanks!

3. K January 6, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Finally!! Someone that doesn’t advertise for Bubblecake, and gives Viva La Cupcake the applause. The employees at Viva really know how to treat their customers, and the cupcakes are actually homemade. As for Bubblecake…pfft!!

• Christina Ricchiuti January 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

I did love my stop into Viva la Cupcake. I didn’t have the opportunity to try Bubblecake, but I have to admit that their cupcakes look pretty delicious, too! (Perhaps I’m an equal opportunity cupcake aficionado?)

4. Chad January 6, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

I’ve lived in Roanoke my whole life, and I love it here. It’s very neat to see how our town looks from the perspective of a visitor.

• Linda January 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

HI Chris, I just want to thank you for the great article you wrote about Roanoke. I live near the Grandin area. I am going to enjoy your site…I love to travel, but have limited time and funds, so know your blog is going to be helpful!

• Christina Ricchiuti January 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Thank you, Linda! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Regarding limited time and funds… I like to say: If I can do it, you can do it. I’ve got lots of 2014 quick-trips coming up, so stay tuned! (And definitely chime in with recommendations… I’m always looking for trip ideas.)

5. Elena January 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

I arrived in Roanoke via Brooklyn NY thanks to a young son’s love of trains. What started as a weekend trip 20 years ago, ended up being our new hometown one year later. Best thing I could have ever done for my children. Love the Roanoke Valley…glad you enjoyed it too!

6. Barbara Duerk January 6, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

Neighborhoods and Village Centers make living in Roanoke perfect for people who like tree lined streets and sidewalks. South Roanoke Neighborhood is connected to downtown M-F by a trolley that runs every 15 minutes. The Rail House brewery within walking distance of neighborhoods offers 4+ beers. Bring your growler.

• Christina Ricchiuti January 6, 2014 at 9:18 pm #

A trolley?! How charming. What a great idea- I could see it fitting in perfectly. And thanks for the tip about Rail House Brewery– I’ll have to check it out next time I head down that way.

• Vince January 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Not a trolley, just a bus with a trolley facade.

• RoanokeGuy January 7, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

That trolley isn’t so charming if you have had a slide on the seats. For some reason a local hospital and the city bus company operate it for appearances and as a nod to a past trolley that was in town yearssss ago. The current version mostly transports hospital employees between a few of their buildings, some homeless, and some that need to go to the doctor but don’t have a lot of money. If you ride, you might need a nose plug.
        RoanokeGuy recently posted..5 Things I Love About RoanokeMy Profile

• Vince January 7, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Grew up in NW Roanoke — no neighborhhood feel, no tree-lined streets and no sidewalks, except along Melrose. South Roanoke is a very small part of the City, and most of the City has none of the amenities of South Roanoke.

7. Terrie January 6, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Hope you’ll come back and see even more sites…neighborhoods out of the city and in the county…awesome; did you go up to THE STAR…great veiw of the valley below. Go in the Wachovia Tower and go to the top and you’ll see even more awesome views…looking toward the St. Andrews Church and across Hotel Roanoke, etc. wow and wow.
    Yep…lived here since ’71 and love it…so glad you mentioned Alexander’s…my favorite restaurant here…but oh…there are so many good ones.
    And don’t forget all those cute and novel little shops all along the Market area!
    Thanks for the review!

8. mouse January 6, 2014 at 10:27 pm #

Christina, Great write-up, but how in the world could you get out of town without a stop in the *real* historic eateries? The Roanoke Weiner Stand, The Texas Tavern, and the world-famous, National Historic Landmark The Coffee Pot?

Your host and guide did you a great disservice!

• Christina Ricchiuti January 7, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

So much to do, so little time! I did go past the Roanoke Weiner Stand and it looks really fun. Next time, I’ll try to stop in!

9. Steffan January 7, 2014 at 4:59 am #

I grew up on windy gap mountain and have always loved Roanoke and I am glad you got to experience the beauty and culture of a city I am proud to call my hometown. If you go again try CJ’s it is run by my cousins and they do the best fried chicken and wings in the area. For anyone moving to Roanoke old Sw is nice and there are even nicer home in the surrounding area of Franklin County that is a short drive to and from the city.

10. Bryan January 7, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Welcome to Roanoke! As a Roanoke-born, DC-living late-20-something, I am very excited to see that you had a great time in my hometown. The area has really grown over the past 5 to 10 years. You really did hit some great highlights of the area, but never even got to explore all that Roanoke County has to offer. Although not as vibrant as Downtown Roanoke, there are several great restaurants and venues to explore. The Coffee Pot is one of the more popular music spots in the county with live music several nights out of the week. Down the road, Gracies Pizza is still one of my “must haves” when I come home to visit the family. In addition, there are several award winning vineyards in the area, including Valhalla Vineyards, which has a view even better than the view from the Star. Regardless, thank you for highlighting my hometown and showing people that there is so much more than people would think.

11. Michael January 7, 2014 at 9:37 am #

You will also find theater in Roanoke. The oldest community theater in Virginia is here, Showtimers. An offshoot (though denied, but I was there) is the Mill Mountain Theater, a semi-professional theater. There is the graduate playwrighting at Hollins College, the Attic Theater in Fincastle. The Off the Rails Theater is excellent, and there is the Star City Playhouse. All of these rely on local talent, so if you can act, you will have a wealth of opportunity here. If you just want to see excellent theater, this is the place.

12. Little Dickey January 7, 2014 at 9:42 am #

Nice article. I grew up in Roanoke. Haven’t lived there in years, but visit every year to see family. You didn’t mention my two favorite culinary “musts” – the Roanoke Weiner Stand and the New Yorker. I have to go to them each time I visit – give them a try next time.

13. Craigmo January 7, 2014 at 10:51 am #

Thank’s and please come again. As a lifer here we keep getting better and better. Tons of live music to go along with great resturants. I can easily ride my bike to work. We also have an awesome Community College!

14. Bruce Wood January 7, 2014 at 11:12 am #

Greatest place in the world to raise a family. Both of my kids, who are now grown, were born here…

15. tanya breese January 7, 2014 at 11:12 am #

shhhhh, i don’t want everyone to know about roanoke! let’s keep it a secret!! :)
    tanya breese recently posted..More SummerMy Profile

16. Mark Petersen January 7, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

I moved to Roanoke from Los Angeles in 1996. I have left twice but only come back. We have no traffic jams and the lifestyle is very casual. Everyone does their own thing. And it’s nice to see people you know at the grocery store and watch their kids grow up.

Iam sticking around ’cause I think Roanoke is only going to get even better in the coming years.

Great Outdoors, Great Bicycle trails!

• tanya breese January 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

hey, we are from san diego originally….LOVE it here! the only thing i miss is our mexican food!
      tanya breese recently posted..More SummerMy Profile

17. Brent McConnell January 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

Next time, make your way over to Vinton, a small town on the east side of Roanoke County with famous landmarks like the Vinton Bowling Alley and New York Pizza. I’ve traveled a lot (even Italy) and have yet to find better pizza. #TeamVinton

18. Liz Long January 7, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

Thanks so much for visiting! I made sure to share this through Roanoker magazine’s social sites because this was such a great piece!
    As the 20-something crowd, I’m always so proud to see other younger people visiting and loving it as much as I do. I moved here from Nashville and worried about coming from a bigger city, but how wrong I was! Always plenty to do and it’s hard to go anywhere without bumping into friends because that’s just the atmosphere here. As a writer, support here is in spades too! Thanks for highlighting our great city – it’s only getting better!! Come back soon :)

• Christina Ricchiuti January 7, 2014 at 10:47 pm #

Thanks for sharing this, Liz! I’ve been blown away by the outpouring of support and interest. If nothing else, I’ve learned that Roanokers are — generally — so proud of their hometown. I’m so glad that I had an opportunity to visit.

19. Benji January 7, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Roanoke sucks. If you’re looking for a small town of closed-minded, religious zealots who are all up in your business, move here. The nature is great, but when the hottest thing to do in town is catch a meal downtown after blowing some cash at the Valley View Mall following Sunday services, it’s time to look elsewhere.

• Betty S. Turner January 10, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

You have a very negative attitude. Perhaps that counts for your negative experience. Roanoke is a live and vital city with all kind of opportunities, large and small. Sorry you are disappointed in your experiences. Lighten up and maybe something good will happen for you.

20. David January 7, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

I moved to Franklin County it’s next county south of Roanoke county. And I do like Roanoke. With it’s older small town fill and yet you can still have a good time with a lot of things to do.With all the history civil war to moonshine and everything between. And real good music seen from Bluegrass to rock and roll. From craft beers there are 5 brewers in an around Roanoke. But come check Roanoke and Franklin county out. Y’all just may put down roots here.

21. RoanokeGuy January 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

Wow this writer should have given more of a story about Roanoke life. Please remember this article is written with benefit to VA Tourism. This town could easily scare all of it’s medicated / should be medicated people with some unsavory truths about lifestyle, career and opportunity, politics, and perhaps just a neighbor.
    This article gives some highlights but, fails to mention things like finding a place to park dowtown for work or taking part in one of the eateries that are over priced for the local income. In fact, being a , ummm, being a chef is a big thing since there is so many places to eat here. Most places are over priced for what it is. Not to fear, a few mainstream chain dine outs are around.
    There are plenty of people here that try to be more than they are and have no problem telling you the local gossip and drama of the hour or day.
    With all this said, it’s an ok place to raise a family or retire. If you don’t need a place that will locate you to career advancement or a nice vibrant night life, then this is a great place. If you like the outdoors, it’s super. If you need anything more, this isn’t such a great place. There’s not much here. I am writing this after living here all my life and this doesn’t even start to give the proper picture. So, I’m leaving this as the article leaves a lot to be said for Roanoke.
    RoanokeGuy recently posted..5 Things I Love About RoanokeMy Profile

• RoanokeGuy January 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

OH and I should add, most of us don’t care that most of this stuff is here. The places with an event are what we do mostly when we really need something to do to get away from boredom. The average person in Roanoke doesn’t visit any of the places, exception to eateries, more than a few times a year or lifetime. If you have a particular view on whatever issue you can always find a for or against mindset or argument here. Most people that come from bigger places have a hard time adjusting to the drudgery here. I hear the story all week long about how the came from “pick a big city” and there’s nothing to do here and how much more is from that place they came from. The welfare system has grown tremendously here. Partly to blame is that Northeastern states shipped their welfare and homeless needy to the area. However, if you are a sociologist or simply love to volunteer, there are ample chances here.
      RoanokeGuy recently posted..5 Things I Love About RoanokeMy Profile

22. Angela January 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

I’m so sorry you missed LUCKY! It is my favorite drinks + delicious dinner spot. Heck, it’s my favorite place in all of Roanoke! If I’m out downtown, it starts and often finishes at Lucky.

I’m originally from Arlington Virginia and moved here almost 4 years ago for work. Lucky is on Kirk Ave, by Kirk Ave Music Hall. They serve retro/creative cocktails (AMAZING!) and french/american gastropub cuisine. The atmosphere, loungy feel and the friendly staff are a terrific combination. The owners are always present and solicit your likes/dislikes as well as getting to know you by name. If you haven’t been I would definitely suggest it on your next trip.
    Recommend it most highly :-)

Roanoke’s quality of life is unbeat. It’s a change in pace from the DC area but definitely a quality place to live. Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for sharing
    Angela recently posted..5 Things I Love About RoanokeMy Profile

23. Jeff January 8, 2014 at 1:05 am #

I’m a bit surprised that all this cheerleading for Roanoke ignores that a significant part of Roanoke is just as run-down as many other cities, places that I think most Roanokers who rave about food-trucks, Down-Town night life and the art museum also don’t ever dare talk about “That other part of Roanoke” like around 10th street, Rorer and Day avenues, Salem Ave outside of downtown. SouthEast, the parts along Hershberger out towards Plantation Road, Wasena, etc. The areas that line Melrose and Orange avenue… And can’t forget Lincoln Terrace (you can paint it and rename it, but it’s still not somewhere I’d choose to live) and along Shenandoah Ave (Past Peters Creek) where I used to work, laying in my bunk at the station, flinching whenever a stray bullet would punch through the wall above my head.

Yeah, Roanoke is a nice place, all in all, it’s not that much more special than most any other city of similar size in the world.

24. Mae January 8, 2014 at 4:36 pm #

Loved this. I grew up in Roanoke and through the years I have seen many changes and for the better. I remember when there was only one mall called Crossroads, and 4 movie theaters.

I don’t live there anymore but go back to visit family. Thanks for saying nice things about my home town.

25. Relocated2Roanoke January 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

I “retired” here with my husband and 17-year old daughter, 10 years ago from the Maryland suburbs outside Washington, DC. We liked the mountains, found a beautiful home and thought it would be a good place to live.

We love to entertain and had a fair number of friends after living the in the DC area for over 25 years. Over the last 10 years we have met only 3 couples that we socialize with. Everyone else we have met either through church, PTA, volunteering, and my work in the city public school system seem, in the words of my daughter “to already have enough friends.” We have invited neighbors over for several meals (my husband is a great cook) and never had them reciprocated. I find that the people in this area to be very close-minded. The race relations are stuck in the 1950′s.

I have to say that much of your article is accurate from the point of view of a visitor. There are many activities for those wanting to participate in the outdoors. The Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome, the wineries are fantastic, food is ethnically diverse and delicious. The museums are nice, but after one visit you’ve seen all they have. Traveling exhibits are non-existent so there is no reason to go a second time. Theatre is mostly good, though the Mill Mountain Theatre seats are narrow and uncomfortable, one show and we never went back. Thank goodness for Attic Productions which is wonderful local theatre at very reasonable prices and no bad seat in the house. Both civic centers are okay, but showing their age. Acoustics at the Performing Arts Center are mediocre and the few concerts we’ve attended have left us wondering why we wasted our money. The area colleges, universities and community college are wonderful and have great programming for the community. The main city library has seen better days and has parking and accessibility issues, but generally the area library system is very good and the branches are accessible and well-staffed. The new South County library is excellent and state-of-the-art.

Would I recommend that people to visit? Certainly. Would I recommend people relocate here? Probably not. Clearly I have been spoiled by my other homes.
    Relocated2Roanoke recently posted..5 Things I Love About RoanokeMy Profile

• Hayley February 1, 2014 at 9:44 am #

“We love to entertain and had a fair number of friends after living the in the DC area for over 25 years. Over the last 10 years we have met only 3 couples that we socialize with. Everyone else we have met either through church, PTA, volunteering, and my work in the city public school system seem, in the words of my daughter “to already have enough friends.”

Amen. I moved here from Richmond for a job and have been dismayed at the difficulty my husband and I have had making friends. Granted, we’re nearly 30 and are atheists/secular humanists, and Roanoke was recently named one of the top Bible-minded cities of America, so that’s certainly part of the problem, but not all of it. It seems that people who are from here, stay here, and see no need to branch out. In larger cities, it’s more common for people to come and go, so you make more friends casually. People I work with are nice, but with few exceptions, most have never lived elsewhere. The sights and museums (while few compared to larger cities) are okay, they’re not places I would visit frequently. You see the star once, how many more times do you need to see it, you know? Sad to say, I don’t see us staying here long-term if we continue to have difficulty connecting with people. (And honestly, there’s just very little culture here — you can’t schedule events for Wednesday nights because that’s Bible Study night!)

26. mike January 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

I spent part of my childhood in the Roanoke area and I go back to visit annually …and one thing I love about Roanoke and it gets better every time I go ..is the food co-op. Nice little restaurant in the back and great local organic produce with a super friendly knowledgeable staff.

27. Martha January 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

One thing that has not been mentioned is the celebration of ethnic diversity. The annual festival, Local Colors, is not just a one weekend event. It is a year round calendar of lunch events and festivals that celebrate different cultures from around the world. Roanoke also has an active Sister Cities program. Our city is home to a thriving refugee and immigration population and we have a number of groups who work hard to welcome these folks.

Check out Local Colors activities at their website: http://localcolors.org/

28. Chris January 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

After having lived in Roanoke for 29 years (my whole life) I could probably come up with more than 5 things. Great article. Thanks for visiting.

29. Yeni January 16, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

30. telecharger photofiltre April 13, 2014 at 4:20 am #

Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger, and
    I was curious about your situation; many
    of us have developed some nice methods and we are looking to exchange methods with other folks, why not shoot me
    an email if interested.
    telecharger photofiltre recently posted..telecharger photofiltreMy Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks